1. General instructions 2. Important dates 3. Requirements regarding formatting and setup of ICOTS-6 papers 4. General requirements to authors about preparations of ICOTS-6 papers 5. Submission of ICOTS-6 papers 6. Author's checklist and Author's Warranty and Indemnity
Speakers audiovisual requirements
Please send your speaker audiovisual requirement form to Lynn Selby (Lynn@selbys.co.za) before 06 June 2002 . All queries relating to the technical aspect of your presentation can be directed to Lynn who will answer you and assist you.
See also: Presentation suggestions for authors
Click here to download the Speakers audiovisual requirements form. Click here to Download the Author's checklist (must be submitted with the paper)
1. GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
The invited and contributed papers of ICOTS-6 will be published by ISI
and IASE as
a CD-ROM and on the Internet. The proceedings will be available in print only
upon special request with the conference registration and the payment of
an additional fee.
The following guidelines are intended to help you make the most of the space you have available in the ICOTS-6 Proceedings. We have posted sample papers to allow you easy following of the instructions.
The manuscript must be written in English. The maximum length of an invited paper is six A4 pages and a contributed paper is four A4 pages. You are required to submit your paper by e-mail and hard copy.
2. IMPORTANT DATES (Updated November 30, 2001)
Dec. 1, 2001 Contributed speakers desiring their papers NOT to be refereed to submit a one-page abstract to Susan Starkings. Jan. 1, 2002 Jan. 1, 2002 The authors of refereed papers receive the referees' comments, if relevant.
Jan. 15, 2002
Early registration ends. There are considerable savings for people registering early (before January 15, 2002), so if you plan to attend ICOTS-6 you are strongly advised to register early. Click here to download an ICOTS-6 Registration Form.
Feb. 1, 2002
Authors of refereed papers to submit a revised version based on the referees' comments to their Session Organizer, if relevant. Contributed speakers submit to Susan Starkings.
Jan. 1, 2002 Suggestions for demonstrations, forums and special sessions, to submit to Maria-Gabriella Ottaviani.
June 1, 2002
3. REQUIREMENTS REGARDING FORMATTING AND SETUP OF ICOTS-6 PAPERS
Word processor software
Our preference is MS Word 97 (or newer versions, such as the 2000 version) for PC.
Paper size and margins
All papers should be typed using 11 point Times New Roman font.
Except for the Title/Author's information (which should be centered) the paper should be both left and right justified.
DO NOT number the pages. Number the hard copy pages lightly in pencil.
First line in each paragraph should be indented by 1.27 cm (0.5").
Figures and tables
Invited papers must have a maximum length of six A4 pages (approx. 3600 words) and contributed papers must have a maximum length of four A4 pages (approx. 2400 words) including title, author's information, abstract, text, references, appendices, figures, etc.
Headers, footers and footnotes
Two sample papers can be found on this Website Under Sample papers.
If submitting more than one paper, use separate E-mail messages and attachments for each.
4. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS TO AUTHORS ABOUT PREPARATION OF ICOTS-6 PAPERS
1. The content must relate to the teaching or learning of statistics.
2. Papers should be self-contained and should NOT address directly those attending the conference session. Therefore, statements such as "In this session …" must be avoided.
3. Photographs, drawings, examples of children's work, etc., should only be included if they relate directly to the text and if they significantly assist the readers' understanding of the paper.
4. DO NOT include contact names and addresses or prices for materials available for sale. Readers can obtain these via the author/institution. Any papers about new materials should focus on their use. That is, they should report on how they were used and with what results.
5. The written permission of original copyright holders to reproduce any materials from other sources MUST be provided. A short example may usually be reproduced legally, but several examples (a whole page or a table/chart/diagram) need permission. This applies even when the author originated the material and/or works for the corporation that published it.
6. Signed warranty statements (one per author) must accompany submitted manuscripts.
5. SUBMISSION OF ICOTS-6 PAPERS
1. All papers should be submitted in both electronic and hard copy form to your Session Organizer by the dates given above.
2. E-mail your manuscripts as attachments. (Floppy diskette should be sent only if the author does not have access to E-mail.)
3. Please check for viruses before sending.
4. In your E-mail message, identify the file with the machine and word processing program used (e.g., PC: Word 97, PC, Macintosh: Word 6.0), the file name and the author's name.
5. Send one paper copy printed on a laser quality printer. Use A4 paper (if possible). This will be used to check that the file version has been correctly transmitted.
6. If you do not have access to an E-mail facility, send manuscripts on a 3.5" floppy diskette to your Session Organizer, identifying the file with the machine and word processing program used as in point 4.
7. Session Organizers will send final versions of the paper to the publication committee Chair, Brian Phillips (firstname.lastname@example.org).
8. Closing date for final version of papers to reach your Session Organizer: Jan. 1, 2002 (if not to be refereed).
9. LATE MANUSCRIPTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.
10. Send manuscripts, disks (if you have not used E-mail), Author's Checklist (attached below), and signed warranty statement(s) (attached below) to your Session Organizer.
THE EDITORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT PAPERS THAT DO NOT CONFORM TO THE GUIDELINES OR TO RETURN PAPERS TO AUTHORS FOR RE-SUBMISSION.
If you have questions regarding these guidelines, please contact
International Programme Organizer of ICOTS-6
School of Mathematical Sciences
Swinburne University of Technology
P. O. Box 218, Hawthorn 3122
FAX: (+61) 3 9819 0821
In particular, if you have difficulties meeting the specific format requirements or word processing requirements, please contact your Session Organizer or Brian Phillips at the above address for suggestions prior to submission.
All authors please make sure that you have completed and returned the warranty and indemnity form and the Author's Checklist.
*** PAPERS WILL ONLY BE ELIGIBLE FOR ACCEPTANCE ON THE COMPLETION OF THIS FORM ***
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION
First name: Last name: E-mail: Title (e.g., Dr., Prof. etc.): Gender (Optional): Affiliation: Street: City: Zip/Post Code: State: Country: Tel. (W): Tel. (H) (Optional): Fax: Website (Optional): Session Name: Session Number: Paper Title:
2. CHECKLIST (FOR NON-REFEREED PAPER)
NOTE: Please tick each box.
My non-refereed paper: has been proofread by a responsible author or educator; has been provided in a PC or Mac format with accompanying hard copy; is within the length guidelines; is titled and has my name and affiliation clearly marked immediately following the title; is in the style required by editors as outlined in the guidelines above; has been provided electronically to the Session Organizer with accompanying hard copy; Illustrations are: in an approved file format, provided in the body of the manuscript; or in an approved file format, provided on separate files; or provided on separate sheets of white paper, in black art line ink and clearly marked. Bibliography is: complete and consistent with guidelines.
4. AUTHOR'S WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY I, (full name) warrant to International Association for Statistical Education (IASE) that the paper entitled: (title) submitted for possible inclusion in the ICOTS-6 Conference Proceedings is an original work of mine (and, where applicable, joint authors) and does not infringe the copyright or any other right of any other party and that I am the sole proprietor of all rights in the work. I agree to indemnify, and keep effectively indemnified, IASE from and against all actions, proceedings, costs, damages, claims, demands, expenses, loss and liability whatsoever arising out of or by reason of any breach by me of this warranty. Dated this (date) day Of the month of (month) Year (year) Signed (Your signature) At (City/Country) In the presence of (Witness signature) *** PLEASE NOTE: IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE AUTHOR, EACH AUTHOR MUST COMPLETE AND SIGN A SEPARATE AUTHOR'S WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY ***
Download the Author's Guidelines Download the Author's Checklist Download in WORD format. Download in WORD format.
ICOTS-6, The Sixth International Conference on Teaching Statistics - International Program Committee (IPC) Website.
Copyright © 2001 by the IASE. All rights reserved. This information is subject to change without notice. This page was last modified on July 2, 2002.
For questions or comments, contact the Webmaster, Dagan Ben-Zvi.